The capsule wardrobe is for everyone: the budget conscious who doesn't want to sacrifice money for style; the city dweller who is pressed for closet space; the traveler who would like a complete look right out of their suitcase; the professional who wants a capsule of tried and true work outfits; anyone who wants to look put together without having to put in too much thought...with the capsule wardrobe, your outfits are at the tip of your fingers and they all mix and match together, so there will be no more worrying about mismatched outfits.
Here are the basics of what a typical capsule wardrobe should contain:
- A classic cut suit which includes matching blazer, pants and skirt - these can be worn together or separately
- A classic white shirt
- A pair of well fit dark wash jeans
- A "Little Black Dress"
- 5-10 tops which include sweaters, blouses and camisoles
- A classic trenchcoat
- A winter coat
- A pairs of boots
- A pair of heels
- A pair of sandals
- A pair of ballerina flats
- 2 belts
- An "every day" bag
- An evening purse
- Unlimited accessories including scarves
This is obviously just a starting point - the core of your closet upon which you can build. Or perhaps for the minimalist, this is where you want to stay. This list is obviously not set in stone and can easily be adapted according to your needs and lifestyle. It just gives you an idea on how to start.
According to Harper's Bazaar's book "Great Style: Best Ways to Update Your Look" this is what the basics of your wardrobe should include:
- 4 sweaters - 2 work worthy and 2 for weekends
- 7 tees which include sort and long sleeves, tanks and turtlenecks
- 4 coats and jackets - 1 elegant coat, 1 sporty outwear jacket, 1 classic trench, and 1 day-to-night jacket
- 2 tops for every skirt and pant
- 4 pants - 2 for office/evening, 2 casual
- 4 skirs - 2 for office/evening, 2 casual
- 1 suit - for every season, that can be worn together or apart
- 5 dresses - 2 for day, 1 cocktail, 1 long formal, and 1 special one
- 4 jeans - 1 slim cut, 1 relaxed fit, 1 ankle length/cropped, l longer pair for wearing with heels
And there you have it. So give it a try!